Hey, guys! I was gingered to drop today’s post so here goes.😜
Ginger is a very popular spice. It contains loads of nutrients and bioactive compounds which has earned it the reputation of being one of the healthiest spices in the world. Ginger has powerful benefits for the body and the brain. Ginger can be consumed fresh, powdered, dried, as a juice or drink or as an oil. It can be used to fight common cold, nausea, relieve muscle aches, aid digestion, etc.
Let’s proceed into the benefits of ginger;
1. It helps to calm nausea and vomiting: Ginger can be used to calm nausea and vomiting caused by morning sickness, sea sickness, surgery or chemotherapy. It can be eaten fresh, added to tea or the ginger essential oil can be inhaled to achieve this benefit.
2. It fights cancer: Studies have shown that ginger is beneficial for fighting various cancers such as lung, prostate, breast, ovarian, skin cancers, etc. Raw ginger contains large amounts of the compound 6-gingerol which has anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger can help to prevent cancer cells from forming and also help to destroy active cancer cells. Ginger can also prevent toxic effects of cancer treatments hence, can be used by patients undergoing cancer treatment.
3. It helps relieve heartburn: Heartburn can be very painful and uncomfortable. It is usually caused by the loosening of the lower esophageal sphincter which leads to regurgitation of acid into the esophagus. It can also be caused by harmful bacteria in the digestive tract such as Helicobacter pylori.
Ginger tea has gastroprotective effects which prevent the loosening of the lower esophageal sphincter, prevents acid reflux and also kills off harmful gut bacteria. It is recommended to drink one cup of ginger tea 20mins before your meal to achieve this benefit.
4. It aids weight loss: Ginger suppresses appetite by keeping you feeling full for a longer period of time. This consequently reduces your calorie intake. Ginger also increases your metabolism which makes you burn more calories.5. It helps to reduce muscle aches: Ginger has proven to be a great remedy for sore muscles after intense workout sessions. This means you’ll spend less time recuperating from sore muscles and spend more time exercising. Cool right?
6. It relieves menstrual pain: Forget Advil, drink ginger tea/juice! Yes, it works. Ginger tea/juice is a great remedy for menstrual pain. You’ll be glad you tried it.
7. It improves breath: Unlike other spices like garlic, ginger leaves your breath fresh and clean. It can also neutralise bad taste in your mouth.
There are many more benefits of ginger (it’s not called a wonder spice for nothing). However, I’ll just stop here because seven is a lucky number.😁 I’d be glad to get feedback from you.
Till next time, bisses 😘.